About Me

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
I came to Brisbane in January 2009 to be near my family. From teaching art to secondary school students I moved in to working with people with special needs, and now am making little friends for children - surprise, surprise! I have always loved creating things with my hands - pictures, clothes, jewellery, gardens, food, and now toys. We have recently sold our house in Victoria so are now seriously relocating = furniture sorting and disposing, deciding what's imperative to bring and what's not, then doing it. You don't need much and it's a relief to simplify, once again. As my mother says, "There aren't any pockets in a shroud." Cheers Penny May 2010

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ghost city

Have just been down to Boundary St, West End, usually a buzzing, busy spot where people gather each day to catch up, eat, drink coffee, visit Avid Reader, our wonderful local book shop, buy the paper, listen to music, have a beer abd generally take part in the great community that we love. But today it was really eerie. No shops open, no people, and you could see from one end to the other right down the shopping strip. All services, including doctor's surgery were closed. Only the pub, full of people either celebrating a dry house or drowning their sorrows, was open, a worker sitting on a pile of sandbags just outside the door, having a smoke.

I didn't walk down to Melbourne St, which was full of brown water this morning. I've had enough. Had a fleeting moment of regret that I didn't have my camera with me, but only fleeting. Then went off in search of a shop that sold food and was in luck. Both of the supermarkets we use were flooded - West End and Fairfield - and none of the smaller shops are open. Now I'm home with the television on - again.

No comments:

Post a Comment