About Me

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
I came to Brisbane in January 2009 to be near my family. From teaching art to secondary school students I moved in to working with people with special needs, and now am making little friends for children - surprise, surprise! I have always loved creating things with my hands - pictures, clothes, jewellery, gardens, food, and now toys. We have recently sold our house in Victoria so are now seriously relocating = furniture sorting and disposing, deciding what's imperative to bring and what's not, then doing it. You don't need much and it's a relief to simplify, once again. As my mother says, "There aren't any pockets in a shroud." Cheers Penny May 2010

Sunday, May 24, 2009

of flu and rain

All last week I have been lying in bed listening to the rain on the roof, the only consolation for feeling so crappy with not swine flu, but kindy flu which Remi kindly brought home from kindergarten and shared with us. Only Charles escaped.

Meanwhile Brisbane was gurgling beneath a rising tide. The organic market at Northey St, as seen here, is also home to a wonderful 5 hectare community garden, all of which disappeared under 2 metres of water. When we arrived last Sunday I was immediately struck by the bad parking, which, on closer scrutiny, were cars settled where they will as the water receded. Apparently they spent a few days bobbing around bumping into each other while their owners, staff from the nearby hospital, were helpless to rescue them. Needless to say, it took a massive cleanup to get the place ready for market, and despite the veneer of mud on everything, they did an amazing job.

No comments:

Post a Comment